Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Just show up. Just show up. Just show up.

I haven't been here in a while and I'm not totally sure why. Well, lately I've been rolling a book idea around in my head and I haven't *done* anything about it. For nearly three months I've been developing characters and setting scenes, but it's all been in my head. I think it's time to admit that this might be writers block. Not something I've dealt with in quite some time (if at all). I couldn't help but equate this with facing a blank canvas and for that I've learned to just show up. Put something down, anyhing, just start working. You can go back and edit it later, or throw it away or just paint over it. In paintinng (and all my art making) I truly enjoy the process and generally don't hem and haw over each little brushstroke. If I get something worthwhile out of it, well that's a bonus. Arranging my palette, stretching a canvas, mixing colors and patting it on (or dabbing or scrubbing..) is meditative. I believe this approach allows the painter to get out of their own way and access the non logical, creative pathways of the brai.n.

No comments: