Wednesday, March 7, 2012

still scribbling..

I've been working my way through Traci Bautista's Strathmore workshop for a few weeks now. It's been slow going due to the nasty virus that invaded my body, but I'm back at it now. Her work is so "pretty" and I couldn't put my finger on why at first. It is doodling afterall, not photorealism or impressionism or any of the isms we normally equate with pretty. Well, what I've come up with is (a) her color palette is saturated and gorgeous (b) her doodling really is doodling and as such shows the energy and dynamic personality of the artist.  What I'm getting at is - if you can give the workshop a try. You don't have to know how to "draw" you just have to be willing to play. Playing is always the most important part of art for me, so this my perfect diversion.
If you fall in love with her style and need MORE Traci, her new book is out and it's G-o-r-g-e-o-u-s!!  Hubby just gave it to me for my birthday and not only is there plenty of eye candy it also is incredibly inspiring. It really compliments my method of creating which is it's all about the process. Looking at Tracy's work I don't see painstaking efforts at realism or something else more lofty. It's an immediate kind of art and that is the tyle of art that accesses the dark recesses of the mind. Those are the places we don't consciously reach very often and honestly, they need to be aired out and dusted periodically!

So, that's what's on my mind lately. I have an art supply haul I photographed, but there are technical issues right now. Maybe I'll sort it out for tomorrow.

No comments: